The Alberta Public Interest Research Group (APIRG) is seeking a Chief Returning Officer (CRO) for the APIRG Board of Directors Election.
Dates of Employment: 4 December 201 to 31 March 2018
Remuneration: Temporary Step 2 Employee: $14.76/ hour for 15 weeks at an average of 7.13 hours/week
Hours of Employment:
The CRO must be available to all parties during elections for a minimum of four (4) hours a day from Monday, March 6 to Thursday, March 9 (estimated 2017 SU Executive election dates). These hours are to be posted in advance.
- Presiding over APIRG elections in accordance with the bylaws and regulations set by the Board;
- Liaising with the SU CRO regarding the APIRG elections;
- Publicizing the dates, times and places that nominations may be made, and determining whether each nominee is eligible for election to the Board;
- Publicizing the names of the persons nominated and the dates, times and places of elections;
- Reviewing all campaign materials before they are distributed to ensure their compliance with election regulations;
- Organizing a forum to be held during the week of campaigning;
- Establishing polling stations for the dates of elections at such places as are convenient to student members;
- Ensuring that a cost effective and accurate ballot counting process is in place;
- Announcing the result of the election promptly after the ballots are counted;
- Ruling on protests relating to elections filed under the provisions set forth in these bylaws and regulations set by the Board;
- Acting as the arbitrator in any dispute which may arise during the course of the election;
- Submitting a final report to the board by 31 March 2017;
- Performing other duties as required to hold problem-free elections.
The Chief Returning Officer is to act in a neutral manner and exhibit a neutral attitude during the election.
81 to 107
The ideal candidate will possess these qualifications from paid or volunteer work:
- The CRO will be a voting member of the APIRG constituency (undergraduate of University of Alberta who has not opted out, or community member)
- The CRO will not concurrently be a member of the APIRG Board of Directors.
- The CRO will have an understanding of elections procedures
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Willingness and ability to work varying hours
- Ability to deal effectively with University students, staff, and the general public
- Share a commitment to the goals and objectives of APIRG.
*Community memberships are available if the applicant is not already a member
Experience with other student elections would be an asset.
- APIRG Office, 9111 112 Street, HUB Mall, University of Alberta North Campus
An extensive knowledge of APIRG is not necessary.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume (either hardcopy or email accepted) to:
APIRG Hiring Committee
Edmonton AB T6G 2C5
Phone: (780) 492-0614
Deadline: November 21st. Interviews TBD (likely November 23rd or 24th).
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please include a covering letter.
- Please submit a resume.
You may apply for this position through any of the means below.
- E-mail your application package to:
- Mail application directly to employer.
APIRG Hiring Committee HUB International 9111 112 Street Edmonton AB T6G 2C5
- Upload your application at the U of A Career Centre