Temporary Outreach Assistant
The Alberta Public Interest Research Group (APIRG) is seeking a Part-Time Temporary Outreach Assistant.
APIRG is a student-run, student-funded, non-profit organization dedicated to research, education, advocacy, and action in the public interest. APIRG exists to provide students with resources to be active citizens, and wants you to get involved.
APIRG employees are hired directly by, and thus responsible to, the student-volunteer Board of Directors.
Social Media Content and Digital Outreach
- Scripting, filming and/or presenting video content for social media
- Creating and scheduling social media content
- Creating mailing list updates
- Conducting ‘class talks’, outreaching to students on APIRG’s programs/grants
- Tabling at regular outreach opportunities
- Writing copy for outreach materials (brochures, handbills etc.)
- Volunteer coordination
- Event planning and management
- Collaborating with coworkers
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience, including volunteer work
- Experience with event planning and execution
- High level of comfort with public speaking
- Ability to perform self-motivated work, as well as within teams
- Organizing experience in at least one of the following areas: protests, social issues, community engagement initiatives or public policy positions potentially including union or non-profit lead organizing.
- Training in consensus decision making
- Strong communication skills (writing, visual and/or verbal)
- In-depth understanding of anti-oppressive practices and structural accessibility
- Experience working in non-profit and/or public interest organizations
- Media and Public Relations experience
- Experience with volunteer management
- Design Software Experience (for example Canva, Adobe Suite, ProCreate etc.) and a high degree of computer efficiency
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok) WordPress, and MailChimp
- Familiarity with flat structure, non-hierarchical collaborative working structures
- Familiarity with U of A campus as a current/former student, alumni, community member and/or faculty/staff member.
- French Language Proficiency
Note: APIRG is a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The ability to multi-task and to communicate effectively with coworkers, board members, volunteers and the public is essential.
Terms: The successful candidate should expect to work approximately 14-22 hours per week (2-3 work days), with flexible hours. A high majority of hours may be required for performing outreach activities outside of the APIRG office in the vicinity of the University of Alberta campus. Some evenings and weekends required.
Remuneration: APIRG is a unionized work environment in agreement with the University of Alberta Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA)
Wage range: $23-$28.75 per hour, in accordance with the Casual Employee NASA-APIRG collective agreement.
Position Start Date: January 3, 2023. Interviews will be conducted until a suitable candidate is found.
Position End Date: Position will be terminated in April, 2023. There may be potential to apply for subsequent positions in the organization with exact end dates flexible.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to:
APIRG Hiring Committee (attn: Luthfia Friskie – Staff Liaison) email@example.com
Place of employment (or across University of Alberta Campus as Required):
9111 112th St. NW
Edmonton AB T6G 2C5
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until December 1 at 11:59pm. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
APIRG supports student research, education and action initiatives on a wide variety of environmental and social justice issues. For more information, please see www.apirg.org