The Alberta Public Interest Research Group (APIRG) is seeking an Outreach Coordinator.
APIRG is a student-run, student-funded, non-profit organization dedicated to research, education, advocacy, and action in the public interest. APIRG exists to provide students with resources to be active citizens, and wants you to get involved.
APIRG employees are hired directly by, and thus responsible to, the student-volunteer Board of Directors.
- Promotion and outreach, including public and media relations, producing promotional materials, tabling, social media, collaborating on projects with other organizations, and attending events on behalf of APIRG.
- Event planning, including AWOL, Intersections of Queer Symposium, APIRG mixers, and Board retreats.
- Oversee bi-annual disbursement process for the Event/Project Fund.
- Draft and manage the organization’s formal communications such as the annual report
- Facilitate popular education workshops and meetings
- Volunteer Management, including placement, orientation, supervision, evaluation and updating related policy as well as providing training for all volunteers.
- Board support, including attending some board meetings, providing resources for board members and direct coordinating relationships with some board portfolios.
- General office duties, including answering phones, greeting the public, updating portions of the APIRG website, maintaining a clean workspace, and attending regular staff meetings.
- Post-secondary education in a related field or 2 to 3 years of equivalent experience, including volunteer work
- Experience with event planning and execution
- High level of comfort with public speaking
- Ability to perform self-motivated work, as well as within teams
- Training in consensus decision making
- In-depth understanding of anti-oppressive practices and structural accessibility
- Experience working in non-profit and/or public interest organizations
- Media and Public Relations experience
- Experience with volunteer management
- Familiar with Mac computers
- Design Software Experience and/or a high degree of computer efficiency including website design.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, social media (twitter, facebook, instagram) and WordPress
- Familiarity with flat structure, non-hierarchical collaborative working structures
- Familiarity with U of A campus processes
Note: APIRG is a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The ability to multi-task and to communicate effectively with coworkers, board members, volunteers and the public is essential.
Terms: The successful candidate should expect to work approximately 26* flexible hours or 4 days per week, during regular office hours. Up to 30% of hours may be used for performing Outreach activities outside of the APIRG office. Some evenings and weekends required, especially in September.
*26 hours per week is an average throughout the calendar year. Hours worked are higher during the post-secondary school terms, September – April, and decreased in the summer.
Remuneration: APIRG is a unionized work environment in agreement with the University of Alberta Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA)
Wage range: $20.50-$25.94 per hour, in accordance with the NASA-APIRG collective agreement. (Note: Wages increase annually according to CPI)
Benefits: APIRG employees have access to a comprehensive benefits package.
Position Start Date: Monday February 4th, 2019. Interviews will be conducted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to:
APIRG Hiring Committee (attn: Simone Liaison – Staff Liaison)
9111 112th St. NW
Edmonton AB T6G 2C5
Phone: (780) 492-0614
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 21 January 2019 at 11:59pm. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
APIRG supports student research, education and action initiatives on a wide variety of environmental and social justice issues. For more information, please see www.apirg.org