APIRG Almanac 2021 Submission Guidelines
Number of submissions:
You are welcome to submit up to 3 pieces of art and/or writing. You can submit them all together (in one email) or separately. Each will be considered independently.
We request that written work be accessible by limiting the use of academic jargon. If you are providing sources for your work, please list them as footnotes for accessibility. All written works are limited to 500 words.
Written work can be submitted in any format (PDF, DOC, TXT, JPEG, PNG, TIFF or EPS)
Examples of writing submission:
- Personal Essays
- Short Stories
- Recipes & DIY Guides
- Communique on an issue or event
Due to budget constraints, most art submissions will be printed in black and white. Please submit as a JPEG, PNG, TIFF or EPS file in the highest quality possible.
Submissions can be of varying sizes:
- Full page submissions (vertical page 5.5 by 8.5 inches)
- Half page submissions (5.5 by 4 inches)
- Small doodles to incorporate throughout the almanac (PNG format only)
Examples of visual submissions:
- Doodles to include throughout the spread
This year we will also be creating a digital version of the ALMANAC to share the wonderful art and contributions of the ALMANAC online. Please submit a url (for example a youtube, vimeo, soundcloud, or bandcamp link) where the submission can be viewed online without having to be downloaded.
Examples of digital submissions:
- Video or audio of a music or dance performance
- Video or audio of a poetry reading
- Sketch Comedy
Email submissions to email@example.com using the following format:
2021 type of submission ‘submission’
(example: “2021 poetry submission”)
type of submission_title_name/pseudonym
In the body of your email, please answer the following:
- What are your pronouns? (for example: she/her, they/them, he/him, all pronouns, ze/zir, etc
2. Are you a U of A student? If so, in which program?
- We are prioritizing work by people with marginalized identities in our selection process. If you are Black, Indigenous, a Person of Colour, queer, trans, disabled, neurodivergent, from a poor or working class background or a refugee and you’d like the selection committee to know, please tell us here. You can be as vague or specific as you like, for example: “I have a marginalized identity,” or “I am physically disabled.” This question is optional!
Example submission email:
Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or dm us on instagram.
Thank you for your interest in this project! We can’t wait to see what you create!