Job Posting: Office Coordinator
The Alberta Public Interest Research Group (APIRG) is seeking an Office Coordinator.
APIRG is a student-run, student-funded, non-profit organization dedicated to research, education, advocacy, and action in the public interest. APIRG exists to provide students with resources to be active citizens, and wants you to get involved.
APIRG employees are hired directly by, and thus responsible to, the student-volunteer Board of Directors.
- Office administration, including:
- Ongoing maintenance of APIRG filing systems, both paper and electronic,
- Maintenance of computers and other office technical- and office equipment including maintaining office supply stocks,
- Administration of APIRG mailing lists, shared-file access, and website.
- Financial administration, including:
- Maintaining the APIRG budget, tracking of APIRG’s expenses, revenues, and granting disbursements,
- Strong financial accountability, record-keeping, and tracking within APIRG’s financial structure,
- Preparing funding reports and other official documentation as required.
- Organizational administration, including:
- Maintaining non-profit structure and relationships as required with University of Alberta, Students’ Union and Government of Alberta,
- Updating and maintaining policies, procedures, and forms.
- Board support, including:
- Attending Board meetings, taking minutes, creating agendas,
- Providing resources for Board members,
- Direct coordinating relationships with some Volunteers and Board portfolios.
- Personnel administration, including:
- Enrollment and maintenance of Union membership, benefits program, payroll, vacations, and other administrative staffing procedures,
- Support Staff Liaison Director in administration of Collective Agreement.
- General office duties, including answering phones, greeting the public, updating portions of the APIRG website, maintaining a clean workspace, and attending regular staff meetings.
- Post-secondary education in a related field or 2 to 3 years of equivalent experience
- Office administration experience
- Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Electronic and paper filing procedures
- Experience with full Google Apps system
- Experience taking meeting minutes and preparing agendas
- Experience with non-profit money handling practices
- Familiar with Mac computers and networked office equipment
- Sound financial literacy: ability to read and interpret financial reports as well as budgets
- Experience working for and supporting a non-profit board of Directors
- Ability to perform self-motivated work, as well as within teams
- Training in consensus decision making
- In-depth understanding of anti-oppressive practices and structural accessibility
- Experience working in non-profit and/or public interest organizations
- Familiarity with flat structure, non-hierarchical collaborative working structures
- Familiarity with U of A campus processes, departments, and structures
Note: APIRG is a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The ability to multi-task and to communicate effectively with coworkers, Board members, volunteers and the public is essential.
Terms: This is a regular, part-time position. The successful candidate should expect to work approximately 28* hours over a 5-day week, during regular office hours. Some evenings and weekends required.
*28 hours per week is an average throughout the calendar year. Hours worked are generally higher during the post-secondary school terms, September – April, and decreased in the summer.
Remuneration: APIRG is a unionized work environment in agreement with the University of Alberta Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA)
Wage range: $20.27-$25.65 per hour, in accordance with the NASA-APIRG collective agreement. (Note: Wages increase annually according to CPI)
Benefits: APIRG employees have access to a comprehensive benefits package.
Position Start Date: 6 February 2017. Interviews will be conducted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to:
APIRG Hiring Committee (attn: Batul Gulamhusein, Staff Liaison)
9111 112 Street NW
Edmonton AB T6G 2C5
Phone: (780) 492-0614
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 8 January at 11:59pm. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
APIRG supports student research, education and action initiatives on a wide variety of environmental and social justice issues. For more information, please see www.apirg.org